Sunday, January 12, 2014

January 12, 2014 - Darien GA

Midnight Sun got new bottom paint for Christmas and we re-launched in Darien at the Two-Way Boatyard on Thursday, January 9.  Friday and Saturday was spent doing projects to re-commission the boat.  This was hampered by bad weather both days.  However, all the electronics worked after being re-connected.  This was quite amazing!

Over Christmas, I re-built the refrigeration unit for the freezer - I had replaced the fridge unit in the summer, and while the freezer worked, it was temperamental cooling erratically.  Rather than replace, this time I bought a new compressor and simply replaced that and the control module - it seems to be working great and is using half the power of the old unit.

Today (Sunday), the weather was great - sunny and about 70 degrees.  We made good progress on the remaining outside projects - solar panels re-installed, sails and stack pack, etc.Thank goodness for YouTube as we needed a refresher on some knots!

Tomorrow, (Monday) we will put on the remaining canvas and check everything over.  I am amazed how things that should take an hour somehow take 3!.

Here are some photos of today, and sunset in Darien.


Salty likes the sun set



2 comments:

  1. Hi Neal,

    Glad you're doing a blog, and fun to read it, and I especially like the pictures with the sunset. I'm getting sentimental seeing your sailboat at a different dock than the one next to me. But I'm glad you're taking the sailing sabbatical afterall. I've been meaning to call, but it's after midnight now and it's always the wrong time, besides my iphone has been acting up, battery problems. Oh well. Hopefully you'll see this and I'll call you soon. Is Salty going along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! Salty is first mate and so far he's loving it. Heading out for Golden Isles on the morning tide tomorrow.....heavy rain tonight. Call any time (up to about 11pm)

      Delete