By way of recap - Midnight Sun III was damaged in Hurricane Sally. The devastation to boats in our area is difficult to comprehend. So many boats were lost as a result of the unexpected nature of Hurricane Sally. We were expecting tropical storm conditions at worst, and we actually got a Cat 2 (I think 3) hurricane. The worst attribute was that it was a slow mover, and we had sustained winds well over 100mph for hours and a high storm surge (I measured close to 9 ft).
If you look back a couple of posts, you will see some photos of our damage. The major damage to MS3 was the loss of the mast. Other damage was largely superficial - but the estimate from the boatyard was still substantial. Notwithstanding that - the boatyards have all been full with wrecked boats etc, and all the repair contractors are booked and cannot give a date as to when they can start. Its been very frustrating - so I decided to get moving on the repairs myself and have the boatyard do anything I could not get to. I'm happy to say that although its been slow.......I am almost there! THe big thing of course is the mast - and I am pleased to say our new mast......new design has just been delivered to Zern Rigging in Pensacola and it should be installed next week (guessing around January 15 2021).
|Mounting points for pulpit seats|
So far, I am pretty pleased with the progress on this. There's a bit more sanding and polishing needed. But most of these areas will be drilled out again to mount hardware.
There were also some scratches on the coach-roof, that I have pretty much got out with a light wet sanding. Once this is complete, I plan to have the topsides professionally detailed, compounded and waxed. Yes, I could do that my self and may do if I can't find anyone that will do this for me........but I do think there is an art to doing this well.
I have been building a new helm station enclosure. This time, the new version will have a hard top
|Removing the old damaged frame for Helm Station|
Building the new frame from 1 1/4" dia. stainless steel tubing
Fabricating a new hard top from 3/4" thick King Starboard XL. This is pretty heavy material, but it sure beats laying up fiberglass and it seemed to machine pretty well with a router.
New stainless steel frame installed ready for hardtop. I also took the opportunity to run some cable in the frame so that I can add lighting.
The next step is to get this up on top of the boat!